Menu

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Seven: The Unity Candle

In the process of cleaning out closets to make room for
Blake's future baby accessories, I came across this jewel.

Our unity candle from 1999.

A symbolic presence of marriage bliss.

Two hearts united as one. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

It was buried in the bottom of a box and shoved in the corner of the guest room closet. Right in between a box storing electric bills from College Station and some old yearbooks.

I was torn about what to do with it.

Attached enough to the symbol to scoff when Jeff suggested we throw it away (so WHAT, you want to just throw our marriage away too?), but annoyed enough with the clutter to fret over where to put it.

So we decided to burn it (as a symbol of our ever-burning love).

It lasted about five burns until it began to leak hot wax all over my dresser and we finally felt much less guilty about throwing it away.

And now, in the back of my mind, I secretly fret that our marriage will burn out too.

Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so silly!! You guys will always have that "Burning Love." But if it ever starts to cool, just go to iTunes for Elvis' rendition of "Burnin Love" and I am sure it will be rekindled, and just think you don't even have to clutter up your closet. I love you.

xoxxo
Mom