Menu

Friday, August 27, 2010

Thirty Eight: All Night Cream

Recently, God tasked Davis with the responsibility of making sure Jeff and I were ready for the sleepness nights that await us when Baby Blake comes.

First it started out simple. Just like his older brother, Davis would occasionally get growing pains. When this happened to either one of the kids, we would rub something on their legs for sore muscles. That dated back about a year or so.

Not every night…but a couple of times a week at least one of the boys would have growing pains. When we ran out of the growing pain cream, Bath and Body Works Black Raspberry Vanilla Body Lotion Growing Pain Cream seemed to do the trick as long as it came with a short massage of the leg.

Then came the chicken pox. For about two weeks I was convinced, absolutely convinced, that Davis had a mild case of chicken pox. I was so convinced in fact that I went to the doctor and when they didn’t agree, I went to another doctor and got a second opinion.

I think it is the first time in my life that I have ever gotten a second opinion, which is ironic because even if it would have been chicken pox, the diagnosis is to do nothing. Just wait it out.

But the second doctor didn’t think it was chicken pox either.

I was just so annoyed by the nightly wake up calls by Davis needing Hydrocortisone cream applied to each and every bug bite that I argued with Doctor #2 for a good five minutes about how and why these were in fact chicken pox. Had he not seen WebMD? Google images? Seriously, where are doctors getting their degrees these days?

The mysterious bites? They were chiggers according to Doctor #2.

For some reason, this official diagnosis made me feel better. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that we didn’t have bed bugs and weren’t passing chicken pox all over his new school. That relief only lasted until the next morning at approximately 2 am when Davis needed his second treatment of “bug bite cream” for the night.

The next day, I revealed his diagnosis to his teachers and was told that they already knew (could have saved me $50 in co-pays had they passed that tid-bit of information on). In fact, everyone in his class was getting 1-2 chigger bites a day during outside time and THIS COULD LAST UNTIL FALL.

Excuse me? What? It sounded like you just said it could LAST UNTIL FALL?

Which means we will get to stop applying bug bite cream at 11pm, 2am, and 5am roughly the same time as I will be HAVING A BABY that wakes up to eat during those same hours?

Why on earth did I not list out his old school having a turf playground as a pro on my pros and cons list? Who knew GRASS could cause so many problems?

Then, someone from work gave me a brilliant idea. Aside from stocking up on insect repellant (that doesn’t work), he told me to “buy” ALL NIGHT CREAM.

So, that is exactly what I did. I “bought” ALL NIGHT bug bite cream. And before bed that night, I went on and on and on about the ALL NIGHT bug bite cream. About how it was more expensive than the other stuff! But worth it since it will last ALL NIGHT! Not like that other stuff that only lasts a few hours! Nope! This was ALL NIGHT CREAM! I sounded like an infomercial.
But you know what? It worked.

And that is the story of how I became a liar (for GOOD REASON) and Davis became addicted to cream.

Now if I could only figure out how to go more than 1 hour without emptying my bladder, I could get some rest before November 17th.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So he doesn't get up anymore. Very good. When he was here, I did not have "all night" cream. I just let him sleep with me and GrandDad. Well one thing is for sure, you will be ready for those middle of the night feedings, thanks to Davis.

Grandma Lyle said...

I feel guilty that I laughed when I read this story. But I do wish my pharmacy had sold "all night" medicines when Jeff was a kid. That was a smart move.

Good luck on getting some sleep.

kel said...

uhm...when he spent the night with me...we had no issues...not sure what your problem is!