Menu

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Extreme Focus

In case you're like me and haven't been in a bowling alley in the last seven years, I will fill you in on the latest bowling developments.

Bowling ramps, is what I'll call them. They're nifty contraptions placed smack dab in the middle of the lane. All you do is place your ball on the rack and push. The good news is, bowling is now quite simple.

But it makes me laugh because I can't think of any other sport that has watered down the game to this level. (Yet look at the complete concentration on Hayden's face in the second picture. He looks like he is acting as Davis' bowling advisor, thinking through just how to line up the next shot.)

It's almost like the bowling association realized that Wii Bowling was taking over market share and held a National Bowling Conference to determine how to further simplify the game.

I can just hear the brainstorming session now:

"But we already made it easy by adding those gutter bumpers. What more does the public want?"

"I know. I KNOW! Why don't we just set up a perfectly aligned ramp that will allow even a three year old to bowl a strike."

I mistakenly thought that they boys would be thoroughly impressed by their first ever bowling experience. But the neon balls, bowling ramps, smelly shoes, or even the ball return didn't hold their attention for long.

The machine in the corner is what put them in a state of awe.

The machine that sent a cinnamon sugar Pop-Tart tumbling down after four shiny quarters were placed in the slot. Once we broke down and showed them the joy of vending machines, bowling became something of the past.

The boys started planning out their snacks for the next three years.

Next I want Cheetos. And then Chocolate chip cookies. And after that I want M&M's..." Davis said in between bites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. I've taken Jack bowling a hand full of times and have never seen the "ramp." He is also in love with vending machines. After he got his 5 year old shots and I told him we would go get a treat, he couldn't think of anything he'd like better than a snack from the vending machine in the the medical office building! Hey, at least he's easy to please!
Kristie

Aunt Amy said...

Well we all know that Davis's favorite breakfast item is Pop Tarts :) This was too cute :)