Menu

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 14: Something I'm Reading

Honestly, all day today this blog post has been weighing on my mind because I am not much of a real reader. I sort of wanted to post this picture and call it a day.
 
Where the Red Fern Grows was not literally the last book I read, but for some reason it is the only book I can think of when someone asks me what I'm reading. Seriously though, there might not have been wizards or vampires in that book, but no one can deny the love story between Big Dan and Little Ann was both beautiful and heartbreaking.

But it's not like I haven't read any other books since fourth grade.

I have.

There was Johnny Tremain in the fifth grade. I wasn't comprehending it, so my Dad and I had to read it together. Miserable is the word that comes to mind when I think of that time. My Dad actually would read it to me, but made me take notes after each chapter. I should mention that he is very detail oriented, so the notes took up an entire spiral.

It doesn't matter who is reading, the life of a silversmith is not interesting. Even just now when I googled it to refresh my memory, I couldn't make it to the end of a one page summary.

Then there was Tess of the D'Ubervilles in AP English my senior year. I listened to that book on tape (yes tape!) on a very long trip to and from ACU to visit Jeff. I remember back on that book very fondly. I don't know if it was because I was eagerly anticipating my visit with Jeff, or if the narrator just took my mind off of the boring, flat, forever-and-a-day drive to Abilene.

But now my free time usually comes in 5 minute increments, so it makes most sense that I read blogs, magazines, and facebook status updates. I secretly love lurking on comment drama.


What I Only Read When I Steal Them From My Mom




What I Read Daily
Favorite Blogs:
http://blog.cjanerun.com/
http://nieniedialogues.com/
http://www.dooce.com/
http://thebigmamablog.com
http://ihategreenbeans.com/


What I Read With The Big Boys

Only recently have I started to make a concerted effort to carve out enough time to read to the bigger boys a couple of times a week. We had gotten out of the habit of reading consistently. The book Hayden chose (Chet Gecko) has some room for improvement, but it's more about the snuggling that goes along with it than the actual plot. It is better than Johnny Tremain though.


What I Read With Blake

This is a book that I vividly remember reading with my Dad as a little girl. When I read it to Blake,  I try to get just as animated as I remember my Dad. I have only read the real book a few times with him because now there is an awesome app where Grover is interactive.


What I Want to Read in the Future

A sweet friend of mine, Kathaleene, once said that my blog reminded her of Erma Bombeck's writing...ha! I wish! I had never heard of her at the time, but the comment intrigued me so I researched. My mom bought me one of her books for Christmas that year and I loved it. I would like to eventually read more of her books. They are quick easy reads that could serve as blog inspiration.


What I Should Read More of
 
I saw a really neat idea on a blog the other day about getting your child a bible during their senior year in school and taking notes in it that entire year before eventually giving it as a graduation gift. I would love to implement this idea!

No comments: