Menu

Thursday, April 23, 2009

EMERGENCY

HOMEWORK EMERGENCY, the subject line in the email read.

“Sorry for the short notice…the kiddos need to bring in a homemade hat and a homemade musical instrument for THIS Friday.” – signed the room mother.

It is days like this when I am thankful I’m not a single parent. Not that there is anything wrong with single parents. I have nothing but respect for them. But I can guarantee that if I were a single parent, Hayden’s musical instrument would be a Diet Coke can full of pennies.

Because #1: There are plenty of empty Diet Coke cans around here, and #2: other than my rendition of It’s Begining to Look A Lot Like Christmas that I sing year-round, I have absolutely zero musical talent.

But I can always count on Jeff for projects like this. He insisted on making a trumpet. A trumpet he later branded, no less.
And as I watched Jeff write ‘Bach Stradivarius’ (whatever the heck that is!), with extreme detail on the side of Hayden’s trumpet, I couldn’t help but reminisce about my elementary days. I was in a club called the Odyssey of the Mind in which a group of students were to come up with solutions to various problems. We, with the help of my Dad, made a perfectly engineered slingshot and catapult out of 2x4’s, PVC pipes, and lots of epoxy that could hit a target dead on from 20 feet away. And while I use the term ‘we’ loosely, we did make it to the State Competition.

But that’s what Dads are for, right?

***It’s not like I contributed nothing to the cause though. I did google ‘How To Make A Hat Out Of Newspaper’ and found quite a few links for those boys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to Jeff (no pun intended). That is an awesome trumpet and hat. Can Hayden play it? If it wasn't for your dad many a project would have been mediocre at best. We learned the hard way that parents are suppose to "help" with projects when we let Matt do his first project alone only to see it displayed with all the other projects at open house. Matt was so proud of his project and dad and I were mortified!! Live and Learn.

Love you guys,
Mimi

Mica said...

Hey! Don't knock the coins in a can instrument. I am certain Ella would not have taken a branded trumpet. She may have taken Groovy Snaps (aka her fingers with bright orange nail polish)!

Mica said...

OH - and can you just imagine Kellie, you, me...and your dad on an OM team. We totally would have ruled the school!