Tuesday, July 24, 2007

So You Had A Bad Day...(sing in tune)

It started on Sunday when Jeff backed my car into his car….and dented both. I know it was an accident (one that I have made, no less), but he acted like he spilled a glass of water when he did it. He didn’t even get out of the car to look at the damage. It took a full five minutes for me to get over that, but since we were headed to Mimi’s Café, I knew I had to because I didn’t want it to get in the way of enjoying my Belgain waffles. The waffles were divine, but the day had only just begun…

That afternoon, during a 20 minute thunderstorm that came from nowhere, our house was struck by lightning. It was the scariest, loudest bang I have heard in my entire life. I immediately started running around like crazy trying to make sure the house wasn't on fire. We didn’t lose our power, but the lightning fried both of our a/c units, the flat screen TV, the DVD player, cordless phone, and a few other weird random things in the house. All covered by insurance, right? Right…except that we are about $500 shy of hitting the deductible…so they aren’t going to pay a dime. I was really expecting *hoping* that we would get 2 brand new a/c’s out of the deal, but it was just the circuit boards which *only* cost $1400. The a/c repairman just didn’t get my hints….which went something like this…”since the insurance is paying, I would really like to get two new a/c’s so keep that in mind when you are looking at what is wrong”. I guess I needed to be more explicit…

Meanwhile, Hayden had been running a fever of 102 degrees everyday since Wednesday. Mimi had taken him to the doctor on Friday and was told he had a sinus infection. He was prescribed antibiotics, but by Monday, he was starting to develop pink eye and still running a fever. The doctor ran blood tests to make sure his white blood count was okay….don’t know what that means…but it sounded scary to me. Putting this in a single sentence really over simplifies the process of carrying a sick kid across the hospital, getting admitted, filling out paperwork I have filled out no less than 19 times already, and waiting 2 hours to get a blood test…all this while fielding phone calls from the a/c repairman, the TV repairman, and the insurance adjuster (*note: Hayden knows what a “bleed test” is and was dreading it for the entire 2 hour wait). Not easy. I’ll leave it at that. Fortunately, the tests came back okay right about the same time Hayden started getting over the fever.

Then on Monday night, I was heading over to my parents house because it was too hot to stay at our house. I stopped at Whataburger on the way to pick up some dinner. On the way out, with both hands full of food, I fell. Food went everywhere and I tore up my knee pretty bad…I don’t think there is any long term damage, it just took off all of the skin on my knee. I am sure I looked like a complete moron. I seriously laid on the ground thinking about if I should go fill out paperwork, because these guys were spraying some sort of cleaning spray right outside the door…which is what made me slip. Then I decided I didn’t want to be known as the millionaire who made my money in a slip and fall case. So I started crying and walked the rest of the way to the car. When I got to the car, I could barely bend my knee enough to sit. In trying to do so, I dropped my wallet and all of my credit cards fell out under the car.
The good news is that I think everything is finally getting back to normal slowly but surely. Our a/c is working, but won’t turn off unless you do it manually. This most likely means the thermostats are broken which will put us at $300 shy of hitting the deductible. Hayden is back at school and now his biggest stress is that “Friday is the only personal toy day”. Can you imagine?!

No comments: