Menu

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Free Your Mind…


It’s been awhile since I've had enough time to blog about the daily happenings in the Lyle life, and frankly I can’t remember every blog worthy thing that has happened. I lost my list of blog topics, which means someone, somewhere has unfolded a piece of paper with chicken scratch on it, turned to their spouse and said, “I think it says ‘pooping on a plane’???…who writes down ‘pooping on a plane’???” Here’s to hoping my name was nowhere on that sheet of paper…and that it was not misplaced within the four walls of my work. Here's the latest happenings that I can remember:
  • Jeff had his first ever visit to the emergency room and his first ever IV. What a day! He was experiencing severe stomach pains, to the point of not being able to walk or sit up straight. We were convinced it was his spleen since he once had mono and according to the Internet (where all truth lives), mono can come back and your spleen can explode. Can I just say that if I ever have to spend a long period of time in the hospital with a family member, I will have to appoint someone with the sole responsibility of being nice to the staff? Because I can not do it when a family member is in pain and they are slow, Slow, SLOW. After 4 hours in the ER without being seen by a doctor, I lost the small amount of niceness I once possessed. Over that time, I had watched Jeff sit in complete agony, tears in his eyes, and I was literally begging…Demanding pain medicine for him. The first 3-4 times I asked, the nurse on call (or the one I happened to pass in the hall) would act somewhat concerned, but then respond that typically they don’t give pain medicine until the patient has been seen by the doctor. I would practically scream back that it is NOT Typical for my husband to be in tears with shortness of breath due to the severe pain. I won. Jeff did get the pain medicine, but I think it was only after the guy that takes the medical insurance information reported how bad he looked to the right people. By that point, I had already given up and began planning his funeral. I tell ya, I don’t respond well in those situations. It turns out his spleen was just fine, as were all of his other organs. He was officially diagnosed with dehydration. Which is still baffling to me since he is always carrying around a glass of water. But apparently he had been running so much that his body just couldn’t keep up. The doctor thinks he may have also had a strained muscle from his wakeboarding escapades the weekend before (see picture where he is holding Hayden while boarding). All in all, he was released after a speedy 7 hours in the ER. Hayden felt so bad for him that he drew Jeff a picture of Jeff holding a picture of Jeff. I thought this was so funny that I took a picture of Jeff holding the picture of Jeff holding the picture of Jeff.

  • We have decided to put our house on the market. We are selling it for various reasons, but mostly more financial security during this crazy economic time. Quite honestly, I go back and forth about whether I am willing to give up all the space in our current house…which brings me to a new section I will call Husbands Say the Darndest Things.
    The other day, as we were having a common conversation where he was reminding me how much more energy efficient the new house will be, and newer and nicer on the inside... and how much more relaxed it will allow us to be financially, he actually said, and I quote because it is hilarious if you know Jeff at all

    “Just imagine buying a new coach purse every six months without me giving you a hard time about it.”

    Yep. Jeff said that. The same Jeff that gives me a hard time when I use my discount at JCP and buy a $16 pair of pants. That man cracks me up!

    We really aren’t in a rush to sell it since we are building a new house 5 miles up the road that has not broken ground yet. Our house has never been as clean as it is right now. We’ve gotten back into the habit of making our beds and making sure there are no dishes in the dishwasher. We haven’t had that habit since…let’s see…the last time we sold a house. And we sold that one in 10 days. Do you realize how hard it is to have a show-worthy house with two kids and approximately 400 tiny toys? Very HARD! But we have managed to do it. And we have had quite a few lookers too. If you know anyone in the market for a house in Plano, send me a comment.

  • I have jumped on the bandwagon and purchased an iphone. Kellie says that I say ‘iphone’ too much, but I think it is because I am so dang excited about it. Honestly, my love for phones developed by age 2, so I am surprised it has taken me this long to get one. I think I am going to become an apple person because I absolutely LOVE it. I am not into the whole music aspect of it, but downloading the applications gets a little addicting. So far I have sudoku, ww points tracker (just in case I ever decide to diet again), the bible, free cell, a jack-o-lantern application, and of course, the light saber.

  • We had a garage sale last weekend. Garage sales are fun because it is an interesting place to people watch, and to try to envision what on earth people want THAT for? But really the only highlights from the garage sale were making $571 selling absolute Junk…and watching Kellie try to explain to an Asian man the price of shoes…IN Spanish…dos, Dos! It’s probably one of those had-to-be-there moments, but it was Priceless. After the fact, she was all "I don’t know why that man was looking at me strange when I was trying to help him." And I was all, "MAYBE because Asian people Don’t Speak Spanish!"

  • Jeff was told for probably the 5th time this year that he looks Just Like a super hero. This particular time it was Toby McGuire that he reminded the stranger of, but honestly, between that and being told he looks like my son, I think he is starting to get a little cocky about it. Jeff, you are Not Toby McGuire and you are Not Peter Parker. In my opinion, you don’t really look like either one of them. You can not climb a building, you can not fly. For goodness sakes, you can’t even shoot a spider web. I mean seriously, where are all those kind strangers when I am having a good hair day and look like a spitting image of Jennifer Aniston?

  • I came across the website www.yearbookyourself.com that lets you see what you would have looked like in any year. That is how I spent one whole hour of my life, but it was worth it to learn that I should have graduated in 1964. But what would I do without the Internet?


Other tidbits –

  • We took the kids and Jeff’s sister, Amy to the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival.
  • We watched John Austin accept Jesus into his heart and get baptized.
  • We drove to Amarillo for my Grandfather’s 80th birthday and Jeff hosted a dance-off between the kids
  • We celebrated the boys’ birthday party at Pump-It-Up.

Needless to say, we’ve been busy, busy, busy. We turned around...and BOOM, it was fall. All that to say, I apologize for the lack of blogs lately. I’m working on becoming a more efficient blogger, I swear!

No comments: